Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    Cradle Mountain

    March 14, 2023 in Australia ⋅ ☁️ 14 °C

    Time to revisit Cradle Mountain and much has changed since our last visit.
    New facilities and a much more versatile menu of walks even with a shuttle bus service.
    Cradle Mountain is a locality and mountain in the Central Highlands region of the Australian state of Tasmania. The mountain is situated in the Cradle Mountain-Lake St Clair National Park.

    At 1,545 metres (5,069 ft) above sea level, it is the sixth-highest mountain in Tasmania.

    The locality of Cradle Mountain is a rural locality in the local government areas of Meander Valley, Kentish and West Coast in the Launceston and North-west and west local government regions of Tasmania.

    The park contains many walking trails, and is where hikes along the well-known Overland Track usually begin.
    Major features are Cradle Mountain and Barn Bluff in the northern end, Mount Pelion East, Mount Pelion West, Mount Oakleigh and Mount Ossa in the middle and Lake St Clair in the southern end of the park. The park is part of the Tasmanian Wilderness World Heritage Area.

    Animals present in the park include: Tasmanian pademelons, Bennett's wallabies, quolls, Tasmanian devils, short-beaked echidnas, platypuses, common wombats, possums, forest ravens and currawongs.
    Read more