Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 93

    Mahe, Seychelles - 1 of 3

    April 17, 2023 on the Seychelles ⋅ ☀️ 84 °F

    Seychelles- Yes, we arrived at Karen’s Shangri-La. It’s “Not Just Another Group of Islands, Another World”. She Sells Seashells by the Seashore in the Seychelles (not named for Seashells but rather Jean Moreau de Séchelles, Louis XV's Minister of Finance).

    
There are 115 Islands across 540,000 sq miles of the Indian Ocean with only 98,000 people living here. Sounds like a good project, start visiting all the Islands and maybe find a place to move (Note: only about 41 of the inner islands covering 95 sq miles have any services and are easily accessible). Overall, these islands are 4 - 10 degrees south of the equator and between 300 - 1000 miles off the east coast of Africa (not easy to get to). There has been an international airport here since 1972 (Note: 11,000 miles for LA and minimum of 20-30 hours depending on stops).

    Mahé is the island, the largest by population, that contains most of government infrastructure, services, and retail with Praslin the 2nd largest island and then La Digue (which we visit tomorrow).

    We could see several wind turbines. and heard how valuable that is because electric (and other utilities) are so expensive here. However, this is not a very windy area. So, they now are powered by solar panels.

    The official languages are English, French and Seychellois Creole (mix of 17th Century French, Africaan and Malagasises). It is a melting pot of cultures and nationalities, that live harmoniously together with no fear of neighbors attacking since for much of the existence of the Seychelles, they have been cut off from the rest of the world, and developed into an enterprising, flexible and innovative people open to change. The nature of their slow evolution since 1770 (although there is evidence of trade routes here in the 8th Century) with British “hands-off” rule from 1814-1976 has ensured ethnic integration, social harmony and political stability over many years making for the social and economic they have had in the past 50 years. Slavery ended in 1865 and then Indian and Chinese workers began moving here to fill in for some of those jobs and add to the mix of immigrants. The country gained independence in 1976 with a short period of socialism from 1977-91 after which multi-party politics returned as is today. Creole architecture is found here too and food that combines French and other exotic flavors.

    Philosophy: Live and Let Live!

    Victoria (the world’s smallest capital) has a Roman Catholic cathedral, Anglican cathedral, a Seventh Day Adventist Church, a mosque, a Hindu Temple, and others … plenty of room to build a Synagogue. We found “The Garden”!

    Locals believe that the biblical paradise was located here and that the coco de mer is the "fruit of the tree of knowledge". In Genesis, it is only found here in the Seychelles and represents the “belly and thighs”, seat of carnal desires. If that is not enough, the fruits of the bread tree (baobab) are the "fruit of the tree of life” . The baobab is considered a nutrient-dense fruit, particularly rich in vitamin C, B vitamins, potassium, magnesium, iron, calcium, and fiber. The pulp and leaves exhibit antioxidant properties, with the leaves containing protein with all the essential and most of the non-essential amino acids. The seeds contain anti-inflammatory properties!

    Seychelles have 12 hours of sunlight all year round, due to its position just south of the Equator and the temperatures range from 80-90 degrees. North-west trade winds blow (but not too strong) between the months of October and March when the sea is generally calm and the weather warm and humid, with average winds of 8-12 knots (May to September the winds get to 10-20 knots). They do get some of their needed rain in January and February to fill the rivers and provide the foliage with all its colors. Overall perfect!

    In Mahe, (which is 60 square miles) in the Somali Sea of the Indian Ocean, 86 % of the country lives mostly on tourism, fishing and small businesses (i.e., lots of marinas). People live in the North and East and in the South and West there are National Parks and open areas. After a beautiful a catamaran ride past a few of the islands of the Seychelles. Yes, we selected a few we could live on, Sainte Anne Islands, Cerf Island, Moyenne Island (see photos). Also we saw the house on the hill that The Prince of Abu Dhabi built and is now for sale and will research further. Eden Island (a manmade island) is also a great choice. The scenery was quite beautiful as the mountain peaks reach 3,000’.

    On the boat, we went to a Coral Reef and then snorkeling. Bruce saw many fish for some reason they all were “the color blue” and Karen saw a 10’ stingray and a school of 200-300 small fish past right by her. Next, we took Zodiacs to the beach where we got onto buses and went to Le Jardin du Roi, which is a Spice Garden and home of Endemic Plants including the endangered Medusagyne, jelly fish tree. We saw giant Alagra land tortoises, fruit bats and many species of indigenous flora including elephant apple trees, octopus trees and double coconut palms (coco de mer).

    It was a special and memorable day!
    Read more