Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 107

    Mumbai, India - Synagogues: 2 of 4

    May 1, 2023 in India ⋅ ⛅ 88 °F

    Our next stop was the Tiphaereth Israel Synagogue which is an Orthodox Bene Israel Synagogue settled in Mumbai in 1884 (and the largest of the three groups of Indian Jews, Bene Israel). There were nine Torahs and although only one is still in condition of being used every week, they were all beautifully adorned and I had the mitzvah of being able to touch it and feel its presence. The ner tamid and the drop lanterns which are still lit with oil were unique and beautiful.

    There were 200 members by 1923 when it was refurbished. There are less than that number at this time but they still have weekly Services although the Chazan recently left and is being lay led. We were treated to a wonderful experience of speaking one on one with the grandson of the original founder of the Synagogue. Benjamin Abraham Chincholkar is currently the VP but also the all-around lay leader, major supporter, maintenance person, tour guide, historian, etc. His grandfather had founded, built, paid for, designed, and provided for the expansion.

    Now in his 80’s, he has been taking care of this jewel his entire life. He told us wonderful stories with such warmth and feeling of ownership like about how his grandfather purchased the first Torah for 1000 rubes in 1939 (about $8,000). Impressing how busy the Jewish community was, he also told us about the Chazan who had done 43 circumcisions and 72 marriages by 1941. He finished by telling us about the special occasions where 150 congregants come to the Synagogue vs 10-15 people per week and how sad it is because he has no plan in place for once he retires (his children live in US and Canada). He is hoping for a miracle and I’m sure he will get one to carry the Torah into the future.
    Read more