Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 132

    Chan May, Vietnam-Palace & Pagoda 2 of 3

    May 26, 2023 in Vietnam ⋅ ☀️ 88 °F

    We then visited the seven story Thien Mu Pagoda dated to the early 1600s. The name of the pagoda comes from a legend that an old woman appeared on the hill where the pagoda stands today, telling local people that a Lord would come and build a Buddhist pagoda for the country’s prosperity. Lord Nguyen Hoang therefore ordered the construction of the pagoda the “Heaven Fairy Lady” or Thiên Mụ in Vietnamese. Several kings of the Nguyen Dynasty such as Gia Long, Minh Mang, Thieu Tri and Thanh Thai, all had the pagoda restored. The initial temple was in a very simple form of construction, but as time went by, it has been redeveloped and expanded with more intricate features.

    The key feature of the pagoda, the Phuoc Duyen tower was built in 1884 by King Thieu Tri and has become the unofficial symbol of Hue and most importantly, its Imperial times. This octagonal tower has seven stories, which is dedicated to a Buddha who appeared in human form. It is the highest stupa in Vietnam, and is the subject of folk rhymes.

    To the left of the tower is a pavilion sheltering an enormous bronze casted bell, Dai Hong Chung, cast in 1710 by Lord Nguyen Phuc Chu. It is famous for the great size, which is 8’ high and 7242 pounds. weigh. To the right of the tower is a pavillion containing a monument dated from 1715 on the back of a massive marble turtle, a symbol of longevity, and is 8.5’ high.

    During the summer of 1963, Thien Mu Pagoda, like many in South Vietnam, became a key place for anti-government protests (in particular after 9 protesters died there). South Vietnam’s Buddhist majority had long been discontented with the rule of President Ngo Dinh Diem since 1955. Diem had was against Buddhists in the army, public service and distribution of government aid. Today, the pagoda is surrounded by flowers and ornamental plants. At the far end of the garden stretches a calm and romantic pine-tree forest.

    As an aside, here is some interesting information on the dress of the people (mostly women).

    AO DAI are the long dresses dated to the 1700s are influenced by Chinese and worn as part of the many traditional Vietnamese costumes with long flowing gowns, and with slits up both sides to the waist. They are often made of cotton, but formal dress is silk. More modern versions have silk pants underneath and are much more form fitting on the top (so I am told). The designs are mostly simple if at all and at times are floral or simple checkerboard. Some versions these days (created by designers) are shapelier and are made of see thru fabrics making them attractive to younger people.
    Read more