Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 134

    Saigon, Vietnam - Củ Chi tunnels 2 of 3

    May 28, 2023 in Vietnam ⋅ 🌧 90 °F

    Originally constructed under the jungle terrain, connecting tunnels during the Indochina war (1945-1954) against the French colonialists, the Cu Chi tunnels served as hiding spots for troops to discreetly commute between regions and evade French scouts. These tunnels were often dug by hand, only a short distance at a time. These tunnels were then expanded and became to be a strong advantage during the Vietnam War.

    During the worst fighting in Vietnam 1966-1970, Cu Chi tunnels served as the most strategic location and base for Communist attacks near South Vietnam. At the end of the Ho Chi Minh trails to the North, to Saigon and to the Cambodian border, the Cu Chi tunnels were used by Viet Cong soldiers to hide during combat, as well as communication and supply routes, hospitals, food and weapon storage and living quarters for North Vietnamese fighters. The Viet Cong dug tens of thousands of miles of tunnels, to house troops and supplies, lay booby traps and mount surprise attacks, after which they could disappear underground to safety.

    As the United States relied heavily on aerial bombing, North Vietnamese and VC troops went underground to survive. The Cu Chi tunnels grew to house entire underground villages as VC soldiers lurking in the tunnels set numerous booby traps for U.S. and South Vietnamese soldiers, planting trip wires that would set off grenades (or other torture devices- see photos).

    YES, we had an opportunity to crawl through a tunnel, view command centers and booby traps (we did not fire an AK-47 rifle although you can hear them in the video we have posted).
    Read more