Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 145

    Manila, Philippines - 3 of 3

    June 8, 2023 on the Philippines ⋅ ☀️ 88 °F

    Our visit to Rizal Park, provided our tour guide with the setting to tell us some of the story of Dr Jose Rizal (1861-96), a National hero. Son of a Filipino father and a Chinese mother, he went to University of St. Thomas in Manila and post graduate work at the University of Madrid in 1882. In 1886, he studied medicine at the University of Heidelberg and wrote his classic novel Noli me Tangere, which condemned the Catholic Church in the Philippines for its promotion of Spanish colonialism making him a target. In 1892 he created the Liga Filipina, a political group that called for peace change for the islands. He was exiled to the island of Mindanao for 4 years where he secretly worked with others on Filipino independence, although he quickly denounced the movement when it became violent and revolutionary.

    Apart from being known as an expert in the field of medicine, a poet, and an essayist, Rizal exhibited other amazing talents. He knew how to paint, sketch, and make sculptures and was conversant in 22 languages. Aside from poetry and creative writing, Rizal had varying degrees of expertise in architecture, sociology, anthropology, fencing, martial arts, and economics to name a few.

    Rizal had been very vocal against the Spanish government, but in a peaceful and progressive manner. For him, “the pen was mightier than the sword.” And through his writings, he exposed the corruption and wrongdoings of government officials as well as the Spanish friars. While in Barcelona, Rizal contributed essays, poems, allegories, and editorials to the Spanish newspaper, La Solidaridad. Most of his writings, both in his essays and editorials, centered on individual rights and freedom, specifically for the Filipino people. As part of his reforms, he even called for the inclusion of the Philippines to become a province of Spain. But, among his best works, two novels stood out from the rest – Noli Me Tángere (Touch Me Not) and El Filibusterismo (The Reign of the Greed). In both novels, Rizal harshly criticized the Spanish colonial rule in the country and exposed the ills of Philippine society at the time, now considered his literary masterpieces, are said to have indirectly sparked the Philippine Revolution.

    Even though he was not a supporter of violent revolution, Rizal was executed for his anti-colonial views was charged with sedition, conspiracy, and rebellion and sentenced to death by firing squad. Days before his execution, Rizal bid farewell to his motherland and countrymen through one of his final letters, entitled Mi último adiós or My Last Farewell .. now famous and studied in all schools.

    After his death, the Philippine Revolution continued until 1898. Following the revolution, Rizal was made a saint by many religious cults and was supported by US for his non-violent stance. And with the assistance of the United States, the Philippines declared its independence from Spain on June 12, 1898.

    The people recognize his advocacy to achieve liberty through peaceful means rather than violent revolution. In honor of Rizal, memorials and statues are in many cities in the World. In Rizal Park, a monument which contains a standing bronze sculpture of Rizal, an obelisk, and a stone base said to contain his remains. The monument stands near the place where he fell during his execution in Luneta. a graphic set of statues of him and his executioners. We also visited Fort Santiago, where he was imprisoned before his death, which is now a museum dedicated to his work. We found learning about this key figure in Philippines history was fascinating and between that and what we learned at the cemetery/museum about the American involvement in the wars here, it gave us a real feel for this country's history and character.

    Our last visit of the day was San Augustin Church. In 1993, San Agustin Church was one of four Philippine churches constructed during the Spanish colonial period to be designated as a World Heritage Site by UNESCO, under the collective title Baroque Churches of the Philippines and named a National Historical Landmark by the Philippine government in 1976.
    Read more