Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 147

    Kaohsiung, Taiwan - Overview 1 of 3

    June 10, 2023 in Taiwan ⋅ ☁️ 88 °F

    Taiwan is the origination point for so many products we use every day and as was very evident by the size of the Kaoshiung container port where we docked. WOW, the containers went on and on. Taiwan is also known for producing more than 95% of the semiconductors used today in computers in the world. Therefore, many people work in that industry and Taiwan has a high GNP compared to all its neighbors in Asia.

    All of Taiwan is 14,000 square miles and with a population of 24 million people. Kaohsiung, a crowded city, is only 1,100 square miles but has a population of over 3 million people. It is surrounded by the East China Sea (north), the Pacific (east), Taiwan Strait (west), and South Island Sea.

    Taiwan and China split in 1949 (except for the time Japan occupied Taiwan) following a civil war that ended with the ruling Communist Party in control of the mainland. The island has never been part of the People’s Republic of China, but Beijing says it must unite with the mainland. The democratic island faces increasing military threats from China, which sees Taiwan as a breakaway province to be retaken by force if necessary.

    Just today (6/10), Taiwanese President Tsai Ing-wen said the self-ruled island would work to improve its rescue and defense capabilities with new technologies (as practiced today in helicopter maneuvers over the Sea), adding that strengthening Taiwan through border security is key to maintaining peace. “The safer Taiwan is, the safer the world is,” she said.

    In trying to win diplomatic allies, China has just established relations with Honduras from Taiwan (embassy to open in Beijing tomorrow). Taiwan, called the Republic of China, in addition to the mainland, also has jurisdiction over 22 islands in the Taiwan group and 64 islands to the west, the Pescadores. Other claims include Matsu and Quemoy off of China and a group of islands that are claimed by Japan, Paracels claimed by China and the Spratly Islands claimed by China, Vietnam, Malaysia, and the Philippines. What a difficult place with these looming borders always in debate and changing.

    Freedom of Religion is very important here and is in their Constitution! There were 15,175 religious buildings in Taiwan, 12,279 temples dedicated to Taoism (70%) and Buddhism (15%) and Christian Churches (15%). There more than 33,000 places for people to worship (2+ per square mile) making it the most dense religious country in Asia.
    Read more