Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 148

    Taipei-Keelung, Taiwan Eve TEMPLE- 3of3

    June 11, 2023 in Taiwan ⋅ 🌧 81 °F

    In the middle of the market was a beautiful Dianji (Holy King) Temple (see the warrior on the horse out front) in the middle of the craziness. The Dianji Temple was built in 1873, and is the biggest Temple in Keelung City. People worship Kaichang Holy King (and other Gods) here since the ancient people of Keelung mostly came from Min Nan. Sometimes outdoor performers and other entertainers perform near the temple as well. Note: the small divining blocks. We watched as people prayed with these block many time over the time we visited this Temple and others. The half-moon shaped blocks are made of wood or bamboo root and are known in the Hokkien dialect in Taiwan as bwa bwey.

    The person looking for guidance or answers to questions from the Gods, waits until both crescents have come to a standstill before deciphering and recording the information that has been delivered. He/she then says out loud what the Gods have communicated. It is then repeated over and over in a rhythmic pattern. When the blocks have fallen with the flat surface down, it indicates the God’s dissatisfaction or disagreement with the question posed. If the crescents land with one flat side and one rounded side up, then the response is considered positive, or affirmative. The third combination, both blocks fall with the rounded side positioned down, meaning the “gods are laughing” and their advice is inconclusive. Often, the process goes on for a long time. Very intense (and interesting) to watch as people pray to the Gods and wait intently for an answer.
    Read more