Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 152

    Kagoshima, Japan - Overview 1 of 2

    June 15, 2023 in Japan ⋅ ⛅ 75 °F

    We are in Kagoshima, the southern most major city on Japan’s large island of Kyushu. This area was ruled for over 700 years by the Shimadzu clan and became a big trading port at least since the mid 1800s. Kagoshima was highly influential in the Meiji Restoration (a major political revolution in 1868 that led to the overthrow of the shogunate period) because of its early access to foreign cultures, ideals, knowledge, and technology brought by sea trade. Japan was forced to open up to the world after US Commodore Matthew Perry’s Black Ships arrived in 1853.

    Kagoshima is the second largest producer of green tea. Sencha (in particular Gyokura) and Macha Black teas are also popular (i.e., Bancha, Genmaicha, and Himefukki). Personally, I would rather drink their sake. There are two types: Futsu-shu and Tokutei mesho-shu (the better stuff). Ginjo-shu and Namazake are served cold and Honjozo-shu and Junmai-shu are served warm.

    We spent our day here visiting the most iconic symbol of Kagoshima, the active volcano Mt. Sakurajima which towers 3,500 feet above the city and bay. As you can see here, a highlight was getting to Mt. Sakurajima, which took a bus and then a ferry to the island and a drive up to the volcano. The ferry was a pleasant 20 minute ride where we were told we had to try the noodles ... really, noodles on a public ferry. We were told they were the best and only took 30 seconds to make. In our case it took 32 seconds .. but we didn't mind since it tasted delicious! Life on Mt. Sakurajima is not easy when there is volcanic dust continuously falling (see posters in the photos).
    Read more