Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 154

    Kyoto, Japan - CASTLE 2 of 3

    June 17, 2023 in Japan ⋅ ☀️ 81 °F

    The Nijo-jo Castle was built in 1603 by the first Shogun of the Tokugawa Shogunate (1603-1867), Tokugawa Leyasu. He unified Japan after a long period of civil wars and began 260 years of peace and prosperity. For 15 generations of shoguns this was home when they were not in Edo (Tokyo). Of course, the Samurais always protected the Castle (what an interesting period of time). In 1867 the Shogun turned the Japan and the Castle back to the Emperor. This time, known as the Meiji Period (enlightenment) for moving from a time of feudal society into today’s modern democratic nation. With the end of shogunate rule, this was also the time of arrival of US Commodore Perry and opening of Japanese ports after 200 years of isolation.

    The Castle became a UNESCO World Heritage site in 1994. Our tour guide took us thru the Higashi Ote-mon Gate (main gate) built in 1662 and Tonan Sumi-yagura watch towers and the ornate Kara-mon gate at the entrance of the palace with carved lions at the entrance to protect the palace as well as carvings of cranes, pine, bamboo and plum blossoms symbolizing longevity. The actual Ninomaru-goten 3 million sq foot palace is made up of 6 buildings 33 rooms decorated with paintings (3600 wall paintings).

    On our own, we walked thru the beautiful Seiryu-en gardens and the tea houses and from the five story keep tower where we got great views from the top (of the remains of the tower that burned in 1750). We also visited and roamed around the Honmaru-goten palace and gardens and Ninomaru garden.

    History really lived inside these walls and its beauty remains all over after all these years (see photos).
    Read more