Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 20

    Wilpena Pound Resort

    April 7, 2022 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 22 °C

    The Flinders Ranges are the largest mountain ranges in South Australia, which starts about 200 km north of Adelaide. The ranges stretch for over 430 km from Port Pirie to Lake Callabonna. The Adnyamathanha people are the Aboriginal group who have inhabited the range for tens of thousands of years.

    Flinders Rangers can only be summed up in one word "EPIC".

    Staying at Wilpena Pound Resort there was a lot to fit into the short time we had there.

    We spent a full day four wheel driving the gorges and tracks exploring this amazing place. Driving the unsealed road to Parachilna where we found the Prairie Hotel. Fourth generation Flinders Ranges pastoralist and cattleman Ross Fargher and wife Jane, bought their ‘local’ in 1991. They have created an unexpected oasis here in the Outback. I tried my first Roo burger but will also be my last.

    Our following day was spent walking 10km to the top of Wangara Lookout with its deep red mountains and jagged peaks you have a panoramic view of Wilpena Pound.

    We then topped a perfect day at Stokes Lookout with a glass of wine and an amazing sunset.
    Read more