Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 21

    Puerto Montt, Chile

    February 13, 2020 in Chile ⋅ ⛅ 52 °F

    After our exhilarating day yesterday, we had a more tame experience of visiting a local ranch out in the country. We had an interesting demonstration on a Chilean rodeo (not quite as traumatizing for me seeing cattle lassoed, etc.).
    This was more competitive horse training.
    We were treated to some local dancing and music and were served a traditional breakfast.
    We had the best coffee cake we have ever eaten-I need to try to figure out how to recreate it.

    Something we’ve learned in Chile is that some people own dogs, but most dogs seem to belong to everyone. They lounge about everywhere-sidewalks, parks and yards- rarely fenced in or on a leash. I think many are strays, but everyone recognizes this and feeds and gives them attention. They also seem to be relatively oblivious to most everyone. This seems more prevalent the further north we go in Chile.

    Crossing the street here is interesting. We are told that a Chilean driver will stop for someone in a crosswalk, but “those crazy Argentinian” drivers won’t so you have to be careful! There seems to be some real animosity between the Chileans and the Argentinians. Hhmmmm.... I will have to investigate that further and try to sort out what we’ve seen and heard thus far.

    A short walk around town and we are back on the ship catching up on some computer work and reading. We have a sea day coming up tomorrow so we will have a chance to regroup.
    Read more