Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 29

    Cruising the Southern Pacific Ocean

    February 21, 2020, South Pacific Ocean ⋅ ☁️ 72 °F

    We are enjoying the third of four of our much-loved sea days while traveling to Easter Island.
    We have time to get our exercise in the morning, a couple of lectures (today’s was about Polynesian birds by the onboard ornithologist),
    and happy hour is always a welcome time of day.
    There is lots to do if you are so inclined, but is also a time to regroup.
    The biggest change we have seen in the ocean from the earlier part of our trip is that the water is now a gorgeous cerulean blue. And, finally, it is a bit calmer which helps with walking around. You do a lot of core exercise on those rough days just trying to stay upright!
    Our captain called a ship-wide meeting yesterday and we were fearful that the bad news was that we would not be able to make a landing on Easter Island, but it was just a change in our schedule from visiting one Polynesian Island to another. We had never heard of either one, so it made no difference to us.
    Also, many passengers had heard that several ships were turned away from Tonga this week (we’ll be stopping there in a week or so) and were concerned it was because of Coronsvirus. Turns out it was simply a scheduling mixup. We were assured that they are being diligent about any exposure the ship would have in any of our ports, and they will address them if necessary.
    Easter Island is a rugged, volcanic island that has no protected bay as most islands do, so making a landing there is tricky as there are often rough seas. We’re keeping our fingers crossed!!!
    Read more