Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 15

    Todi, Italy

    April 23 in Italy ⋅ ☁️ 55 °F

    A wonderful 10+ hours of sleep and a great shower this morning (I don’t even know where to start with describing some of the bad shower situations we’ve had on this trip) started the day off perfectly. As much as we love the walking part of our trip, it was nice to have a day where we went the big distances in the car.
    A visit to Deruta yielded many painted terra cotta treasures in lovely traditional designs.
    Jeff has assured me that the numerous pieces that we purchased will fit just fine in our carry-ons.
    Next was a visit to Perugia which is a much larger city than Todi. Many interesting architectural features, but the highlight was a larger than life underground old city that had barrel-vaulted ceilings and enormous spaces. There are shops in some of the rooms and it is quite busy. The city can be traced back to 309bc and it developed under many different influences in the subsequent centuries. It exists on many elevations reached by lots (LOTS) of stairs.
    When we arrived back in Todi, we took the funicular (see photo) from the parking lot to Robert’s house which saves a lot of walking up.
    More exploration this afternoon in Todi including a visit to a highly decorated church here in town. We did get hailed on this afternoon. By the way, if it looks like we have the same clothes on in every picture from this trip, we do. The weather has been unexpectedly chilly the whole trip with the exception of the 2 86° days. So every day we put on everything we have and pretend it’s something fresh. We rejoice when we go through our suitcase and find something new. Using only a carryon definitely limits the choices.
    Dinner tonight was a pistachio filled pasta for me and a pasta with truffles for Jeff. I really needed a salad tonight and ordered the salad mista. Since it was only 5euros, I worried it might be too small for my tastes and thought about ordering two. Luckily I didn’t since it came in a large serving bowl!
    Read more