Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 24

    Day 24 Thessaloniki to Athens

    June 4, 2019 in Greece ⋅ ☀️ 17 °C

    Pleasant 4 hour trip in first class with two paramedics from Hobart (doing the self guided Vikos Gorge walk) and a couple from Thessaloniki going for holiday to Hydra and Spetses. Apparently my favourite wrinkled black olives are called Halkidiki olives.
    Getting a taxi from Larissa Train Station for one is not possible. The drivers would walk the queue, select unrelated people going to similar destinations and charge the total fare three times ! Everyone was a local but eventually I was allowed to join two men going to Omonia. Driver then took me for a ride even knowing i was watching my phone so presumably GPS. I pulled him up and then got to Monastiraki quickly.
    Bed in Athens is really nice inside with modern bathroom (without bucket), big window with flyscreen overlooking derelict block but quiet. The Psirri neighbourhood was the new trendy up and coming area last time i was in Athens circa 2003 and has only built on that with cafes, bars, restaurants galore.
    Found the Mavro Gatos round the corner and as i only had Total yoghurt for breakfast treated myself to kolokothakes keftedes with mint yoghurt (zucchini fritters) and 1/4 kilo white wine for a 3pm lunch.
    Walked round the neighbourhood, up crazy, busy Ermou and round till dinner back at Mavro Gatos. They had Spicy Cheese which i had never seen on a greek menu before! I had eggplant starter and chicken, peppers and mustard sauce - ok but not brilliant.
    Slept well.
    Read more