Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 12

    Last day Otranto

    September 15, 2019 in Italy ⋅ ☀️ 25 °C

    You can tell the time in Italy by the smells in the air. Morning has wafts of croissants and pastries and dinner time it changes to capsicums.
    Breakfast at peaceful Palazzo Marzo was sweetness in the extreme, making me dizzy half an hour later on my tough walk. It was slow progress walking along cliffs with paths through low scrub, alongside eroded cliffs and through narrow tunnels of that pampas grass like plant. Canal of St Peter was gorgeous swimming in deep water but as no shade and too great a distance between access point and place to leave my backpack meant I pushed onwards ending above the gorgeous beach at Mulino d’Acqua. I stood precariously above it with no way to access. Amazing how promise of a pristine swim can obviate my fear of heights. The camping ground was charging 10euro to access their pool but the authorities have closed the beach due to rockslide but if you *choose* to go there they will not know about it !
    Couldn't face doing the same return one hour trip due to the difficult terrain so took the local road which came out near Lido de Spina. Swum there and lay in the shade, then walked the only sea/rock part and actually slipped over. Only a couple of grazes on the right wrist but bit of a fright as it was so quick and could have been nasty.
    Came out near Hotel Plancia and had nicest swim all day so far.
    To stay out of the mid day sun decided on the cliff top ViaPunta7 for italian tapas and a calice of chardonnay. After 5mins a dozen tradies from the film festival took a table which is always a good sign of hearty food.
    It was excellent - big tapas bowl of mussels in tomato, oil and garlic, fava bean puree with chickory and a chardonnay. And all with sea and city views for 15euro ( included 5euro wine and 2euro cover).
    The mare was calmest it has been so had the best swim just before the lighthouse in clear deep water as two italian women fished to the left.
    Aperitivo on the cliff overlooking old town and castle and then prawn orchiette with english/NJ acapuncturist Linda Covelli. We shared travel stories and laughs over italian town name pronunciations.
    Buona noche.
    Read more