Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 42

    Oriental, NC to Fernandina Beach, FL

    November 13, 2021 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 68 °F

    We skipped the stop in Beaufort and went from Oriental off shore all the way to Hilton Head. The first night was significantly different than expected. Three foot seas on the nose grew and became confused as the wind, stronger than predicted, clocked around to the north. Waves were cresting and breaking and it was uncomfortable. It's a good way to diet but I wouldn't recommend it.

    The second night was delightful once the seas got themselves in sync. The wind died way down so we motored, but the peace and quiet was welcome after the previous night.

    We spent several nights in Hilton Head. The highlight was a fabulous visit with our friends, Burt and Prue, which included a visit to their beautiful home, a walk in a lush nature preserve nearby, and a visit to the Coastal Discovery Museum.

    It was becoming evident that the cold was following us. Not being in any hurry at this point, and with a Nor' easter in the forecast, we went and stayed 3 nights in a marina in Savannah. I had never been there and Dave hadn't been there in years. We took a guided walking tour of the Bonaventure Cemetery, considered one of the most beautiful cemeteries in the world, then an informative and scenic guided historic trolley tour. In addition to the multiple beautiful Live Oak tree lined squares, I was particularly impressed with the architectural restorations done by the students of the Savannah College of Art and Design. The sunny, cloudless weather added to the lovely ambience of a city I hope to explore again.

    We decided this year to take our time going through Georgia. While it's longer in miles and time than going offshore, most of the Georgia ICW is composed of wild, winding, sparsely developed salt marshes loaded with Dolphins and aquatic birds.

    Our last stop in Georgia was Cumberland Island. We had only been once before and that was years ago. We enjoyed a hike combining trails densely lined with Live Oaks and expansive beach at low tide. That was our first beach walk this trip!

    We're presently at a marina in Fernandina Beach, Amelia Island, Fla. DUH! OSU is playing today!
    Read more