Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 171

    Chubb Cay to the Northern Exumas

    March 22, 2022 on the Bahamas ⋅ ☀️ 79 °F

    We had a slow but uneventful crossing from Lake Worth, across the Gulf Stream towards the western end of Grand Bahama, then picked up speed and had an easy night the remainder of the way to Chubb Cay in the Southern Berrys. We stayed one night in the marina for ease of Customs and Immigration check-in and for fuel.

    We then made a long day run from Chubb, arriving at Allens Cay just after dark. Between the dark and the rougher than expected sea state, we were reminded of why we don't like to anchor at night. The next day we were eventually able to anchor in our favorite cove off SW Allens Cay. Unfortunately, our windlass (electric winch for the anchor chain) met its demise upon deployment there.

    With great contortionist maneuvering, assorted tools and a few resulting cuts/bruises and aches and pains, we were eventually able to remove the old windlass. Dave's attempts at disassembling it and repairing it were, alas, unsuccessful. It served us well but it's time to replace it. We have friends in Florida who are generously holding a new one for us . Dave will install it upon our return there in the next few weeks. In the meantime we will make every effort to anchor in calm, shallow water, to minimize the amount of chain we need to manage along with the anchor. Who needs free weights when you have no windlass...

    We decided to wait out the winds in the Highbourne Cay Marina We hadn't stayed there previously and appreciated the convenience and amenities, knowing we would probably be anchoring for the rest of our time in the Exumas. Dave had a BIG birthday while we were there!
    Read more