Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 57

    Machu Picchu with the Inca Climb

    December 28, 2019 in Peru ⋅ ☁️ 12 °C

    So today was the day we made it to Machu Picchu 🤗😁 we started the day at 4.30am with a packed breakfast, then met a few other British travellers at 5am to climb the Inca steps to the entrance, which took around 1hr 30mins to get to the top! It was a tough climb, not forgiving and not for the faint hearted, as we witnessed one woman crying her way up! We celebrated at the top with a cheese sandwich and then made our way through the tour groups to inside the Inca village 😊 we opted to guide ourselves as we had the whole day to explore, as most had until about 11pm, where they would have to make the walk back down the steps, and back 2.5hrs along the trainlines to hidroeléctrica for the bus back to Cusco at 2.30pm the same day! 😳 Not for us thank god! So we got a few good views of the typical shot of Machu Picchu as we waited longer than most for the clouds to disappear... And then come back eventually lol, but it made it quite atmospheric to watch. We encountered some world class posing going down, which was funny to watch but also quite annoying if you wanted a picture in a certain area... Without that person in your shot 🙄😂.
    So in the mid morning we decided to walk to The Sungate (45mins uphill walk) where we could see the Inca village in a whole other light. Also this is the entrance used if you're doing the 4 day Inca trek to Machu Picchu, this is the first view point of the village. Apparently there are about 9 different entrances to Machu Picchu!! After being at The Sungate for around 10/15mins we were lucky enough for clouds to clear to get an amazing view of the village and landscape! Around lunch time we made it back to the village, where we explored the alleyways, sacred temples, stones and houses, of how the Incas lived..... Also while trying to earwig information from English tour guides at every part of the walk haha 😊. As the rain came later we opted to get the bus back down to aguas caliente for another night, it came with alot of queuing and some arguing along the way.. In the que and on the bus 😂😂 I mean it is tourist central. All in all though an amazing day that we both really enjoyed!
    Read more