Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 47

    Rest Day: Crocedomini, Brenta and Tonale

    August 11, 2022 in Italy ⋅ ☁️ 15 °C

    A nice easy day today starting with coffee at our wonderful campsite overlooking the stunning mountains. Then it was off in search of more epic Alpine passes.

    First on the cards was the Crocedomini Pass, another one famed for cycling with ultra smooth tarmac and tight switchbacks. It was a smaller, lesser known pass and so was slightly quieter than the ones we visited the day before, with lush fields on either sides, sparse woodland and very cute rural houses. On the way up we were overtaken by three Czech guys on touring bikes who then invited us for a coffee when we got to the top. It was nice to chat to them, they had been travelling for just four days and had travelled an average of 1,200km each day! Beats our 300km on a good day!

    Fully replenished we rolled down the other side, taking in the epic views, in search of a rest spot and somewhere to have an afternoon kip. A pine wood was perfect so we relaxed in the shade of their leaves and snoozed fitfully.

    Just 2.5hours left to ride and 110km up to Madonna di Campiglio and then around via the Tonale Pass and home. We had experienced bright blue skies and sunshine the entire way around until, with about 40mins to go, the heavens opened and so we dived into a bar in Pellizzano for a cheeky beer and to watch the rain come pouring down. When it rains here, it really does rain! The bar was really quirky with two military motorbikes and sidecars out the front and a wooden shelter draped in all many of vintage farming equipment and tools! Great place to get caught in the rain.

    It’s often very hard to describe the beautiful passes and sometimes they can seem to merge into one, so I hope that the photos can do them justice. My words certainly can’t.

    HIGHLIGHTS - Views coming down from the Crocedomini Pass, amazing mountains at Madonna di Campiglio, Tonale Pass
    LOWPOINTS - none
    ROADS - SP345, SP669, SS239
    Read more