Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 26

    York

    October 3, 2023 in England ⋅ 🌬 16 °C

    Our first stop after the boating adventure was York, just a few hours away by train.

    York has a fair bit going for it - Viking heritage, city walls, narrow winding streets and a magnificent cathedral - York Minster - where we kicked off our exploration.

    Most likely, this will be the only church we will visit on this holiday, but it was well worth it. Completed a mere 551 years ago, it is a massive stone structure plonked in the middle of otherwise low-rise York. We spent a bit of time admiring the interior, particularly the windows, as well as wandering around the outside.

    We also enjoyed The Shambles, the nearby cluster of medieval narrow, twisting streets abounding in retail opportunities for every manner of souvenir.

    An unexpected surprise (for us, at least) was the beauty of the River Ouse and the Museum Gardens, complete with some medieval ruins, that lie close by.

    Somewhat to the south was the remains of York Castle, and Clifford’s Tower, named after Roger de Clifford, who gained immortality-of-name when he was executed for treason and hanged in chains from the tower walls.

    We largely skipped the walls, the Viking stuff and the justifiably renowned Railway Museum, as we had visited them previously. Actually, Chris did go to the the railway museum, but it had closed early due to a private function. Waited 23 years and travelled 20,000 kilometres to go there again, but no bitterness here!

    We also took a short train ride to Bradford, and visited the Bradford Industrial Museum, built in 1875 as a worsted mill, and now housing all manner of engines, looms, spinning machines and other assorted gear. The machines were interesting, but the human and social impact of the inventions was what we went for.

    It was, in fact, reassuring to know that children under nine have been prohibited from working in factories since 1819, and that the same, enlightened, legislation prevented children from 9 to 16 from being forced to work more than a 12-hour day.

    We are heading next to Whitby, on the North Yorkshire coast, and hoping that the rain takes a break.
    Read more