Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 48

    Travel day

    May 8, 2022 in France ⋅ ⛅ 50 °F

    We left Paris today and headed to Bordeaux, France. It’s about 35 miles from the western coast. We took a high speed train for the trip and It definitely felt much faster than any US train I’ve been on. We were greeted at the train station in Bordeaux by a stairway, with of all things, a picture of Multnomah Falls painted on the steps. We couldn’t believe it!! No explanation - just the pic.

    We got to our Airbnb and then headed downtown to explore a bit. I wasn’t sure what we’d find here, but so far, as always I’m amazed at the wonderful sites we stumble upon.

    We just wandered today, but what we found was SO beautiful. The old streets, buildings, alleys are so quiet and peaceful. The vibe of the city is so laid back and enjoyable. Eventually we laid down in a grassy park, in the shade and took a nap with hundreds of others doing the same. We had hand scraped snow cones and we eventually found the “Miroir d’eau”. It’s on the riverside and is the largest mirror in the world - 3450 m sq - made of water. Hundreds of kids and families were playing in it. The mirror area would fill up - maybe 4-6” - and then start draining leaving a thin film of water on the black concrete. And then magically, it would reflect EVERYTHING! It was absolutely gorgeous - and refreshing to walk around in. This was a great start for our short time here.
    Read more