Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 142

    Cappadocia, Turkey!

    August 10, 2022 in Turkey ⋅ ☀️ 86 °F

    Miles: 4.6 steps: 12046
    Flights stairs: 41

    Cappadocia is THE place in the world for hot air ballooning. Hundreds of them launch every morning at sunrise. We decided we got to sleep too late to get up early the first morning, but I ended up waking up on my own around 6:00, so went to our terrace to see if it was too late or if it gave me a view or not. Was happy to be able to still see a little more than 60 in the sky!! I was looking into the sun so pics were difficult, but it was quite the sight.

    Usually when we’re in cities we get around on our own - subways, trams, buses, Uber, taxis - but here in this village, that’s not so easy. We either have to walk or take a tour. So today we took a group tour - highlights of cappadocia. It was okay. They showed us a few of the limestone formations (fairy chimneys), went to Panorama Point, to Goreme open air museum, a carpet weaving demonstration, imagination valley (formations that look like animals), and a pottery demonstration. It was all every interesting.

    I had no idea we were in the hub of the ancient Christian world - where they first settled after being pushed out of the Rome. Pretty crazy the history here. They settled here because it was so easy to “make” housing - all you needed was a hammer and chisel, and you could carve yourself a home. There were churches everywhere - small cut outs that could only hold 10 people or so with beautiful paintings on the walls.

    After the tour we went for a walk up to “Sunset viewpoint” for the sunset. It was pretty beautiful. Then headed back home to call it a day!
    Read more