Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 160

    Another travel day

    August 28, 2022 in Egypt ⋅ ☀️ 95 °F

    Miles: 3.2 Steps: 7869 Fights: 7

    Travel in the Middle East is WAY different than travel in Europe or Mexico. We flew out of Amman today - we were scheduled to take off at 8:00pm. While trying to check in tho I found they had changed the flight - 5:30pm takeoff now. Glad I looked.

    So we returned the rental car and got to the airport around 2:30, to find out the flight had been changed again - now departing at 9:00pm!!! So we spent 6 1/2 hours hanging out in the airport. We’ve learned tho that there are worse places - airports are usually nicely air conditioned, have decent chairs, usually there’s free wifi, free bathrooms, and there’s food pretty close by. What else do you need?!? 😃

    So we flew from Amman to Cairo, Egypt! We hit our 21st country and 4th continent! Cairo was a mad house right from the start - from getting thru passport control, to locating cash, to finding a SIM card and getting an Uber - all CRAZY difficult. BUT we did it. Glad we’re fairly seasoned at this now.

    We’re staying in Giza so had a 50 min Uber ride to our “hotel” - car travel here is by far the scariest and worst we’ve ever seen. Our driver was really proficient, but damn, it’s crazy scary on the roads here.

    We didn’t get to our hotel till midnight - again, like many places on this trip, the outsides of these places look terrible, but the inside is awesome. Scary at first. We were greeted by two men immediately at the Uber who welcomed us and carried our backpacks up 5 flights of stairs to the terrace where our room was. It’s a GREAT room - and we’re literally right next to the pyramids!! Crazy close. Can’t wait to go see them in the daylight tomorrow.
    Read more