Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 167

    Nile Cruise

    September 4, 2022 in Egypt ⋅ ☀️ 104 °F

    Miles: 3.6 Steps: 9872 Flights: 8

    We made it to Edfu in the night and we were off the boat and out seeing the Temple of Horus at 5:30am. By 7:30 we were sailing again. We spent the morning and early afternoon up on the pool deck, again, just watching the amazing scenery from our lounge chairs.

    As we sailed, men in rowboats would get right in front of our boat and hook themselves to us with ropes while we were speeding down the river, and then try to sell goods to the passengers! From the boats! At times we’d get 2-4 boats hooked to us at once. It was fun to watch, and lots of people bought things just for the experience. They would show items, and then if you were interested they’d throw them up to you! You’d put your money in the plastic bag, and throw it back down to them. All without speaking each other’s languages. This went on for hours!!

    We also got to experience going though a set of locks, which was even more interesting as these rowboats were so determined, they would get themselves in the locks with us at times!! So crazy.

    Once we arrived in Luxor, we headed out to the Karnak Temple (2nd largest temple in the world) and then went to the Luxor Temple. Interestingly, when we were in Paris we saw a big Egyptian Obelisk there - it was a gift from Egypt. We were told when in Paris that the sister to it was at the Luxor Temple - and we saw it! Neat to know we saw both of these amazing artifacts on two different continents.
    Read more