Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 195

    Nha Trang

    October 2, 2022 in Vietnam ⋅ ☁️ 84 °F

    Nha Trang is a coastal resort city in southern Vietnam known for its beaches, diving sites and offshore islands. It is very pretty and doesn’t seem anywhere near like the other parts of Vietnam we’ve seen thus far. Definitely a vacation spot.

    We visited the Long Son Pagoda and the White Buddha this morning. Our biggest shock was to see the swastika symbol everywhere. We were very confused until we sat down and decided to google the history of the symbol. I had no idea that it had been used by Buddhists, Hindus and Jains for millennia as a symbol for peace, harmony and wellbeing. It has even been found in ancient Mesopotamia! It wasn’t until 1920 that Hitler took the symbol and made it the official symbol of the Nazi party that it began being associated with hate, bigotry and evil. Am I the only person that didn’t know this?!?

    We decided instead of taking an Uber back that we’d walk through town and down the beach to our hotel. We haven’t walked near as much since leaving Europe, so are trying to do more when we get a chance. Plus you see so much more of the area. The ocean water is very muddy right now from all the rain - the runoff from the mountain streams. So we hit the pool instead!

    3.6 miles
    Read more