Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 206

    More fun in Ubud

    October 13, 2022 in Indonesia ⋅ ⛅ 82 °F

    Bali is a very big island, with one village after another connected by small roads, no freeways or even highways. It can take quite awhile to get from one place to another.

    They drive on the left side of the road like in London, and there are thousands of scooters and motorcycles here, just like Vietnam. There aren’t near as many people/motorcycles here, but still somewhat ruleless. People pass when ever convenient.

    So we took a huge leap today and rented scooters for the next few days. Neither of us have ever rode one before so there was a bit of a learning curve. And … it would have been nice to practice riding in a big parking lot or such, but that doesn’t exist here. So we just jumped right out there. We both had a few close calls, but drove for a few hours, in lots of traffic and survived. Hoping for the best the next couple days.

    We drove into the mountains a couple hours and went to the Tegalalang Rice Terraces. They were beautiful! So deep green. They grow rice in fields, but also on these terraces which help drain the water appropriately.

    There are GIANT swings around every corner here. Jordan finally got on - they provided the red dress. It was really neat.

    2.0 miles, 18 flights
    Read more