Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 212

    Monkeys again!

    October 19, 2022 in Indonesia ⋅ 🌧 79 °F

    So we found out that yesterday (while we were hidden out in our room) there was so much rain, the city had lots of flash flooding going on. Multiple motorbikes and scooters were swept off roads as they drove. Pretty crazy. Glad we stayed in all day only venturing out to walk to get dinner close by.

    The rain let up a bit for awhile today tho, so we headed out. It’s our last day on the scooters so wanted to drive a bit. We went to a second monkey Forest about 30 min away. This one was much quieter with lots less people. They also allowed us to buy food for the monkeys before we went in. We thought that was pretty cool, but learned later, not so much.

    When we first entered the forest there were guides everywhere offering their services. Now, in Bali there are guides EVERYWHERE. They’d guide you to the bathroom if you let them (and of course ask to be paid for their services). So, we’ve hired a few guides the last two weeks that turned out to be somewhat useless - so decided we had already been thru one monkey Forest, how hard could it be, and why would we need a guide?? The one guide said we would need him for “protection”, but we laughed it off. Should have taken him more seriously. 🐒

    So when we entered, the monkeys were well mannered, calm, sweet even. Different than the last place, no one is coercing these monkeys onto us. They just jump on! we left that area and ventured down a path by ourselves deeper into the woods. Felt like the wizard of oz … “lions, tigers and bears, oh my.” We were carrying little bags of peanuts in our bags, with some stuffed in our pockets. We’d get one out to feed one, and they ALL came running! Like 20-30 at once. It was very intimidating. Then they would begin fighting with each other, with us in the middle. Began grabbing our bags and getting darn right scary and aggressive. About then, we realized the error of our ways, and really wished we would have hired the guide. We threw some peanuts and then took off quickly to get out of there! Eventually we got to another area where another guide was there and we quickly asked for his help. Amazing how the monkeys behave completely differently with them around. Little ladies & gentlemen. The guides are armed with small slingshots that shoot tiny little pebbles, and honestly all they have to do is bring it out and hold it in their hand and the monkeys straighten right up. Even with the excitement, still a fun time.

    Then we rode home. Rain came back and we drove in a deluge! Luckily made it back safe and sound, but got pretty wet in the process. All part of the experience!

    1.7 miles
    Read more