Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 226

    Bangkok, Thailand

    November 2, 2022 in Thailand ⋅ ⛅ 86 °F

    We arrived at Bangkok after a long day of travel yesterday. Went out exploring the city today! Southeast Asia continues to surprise me. I have the preconceived notions of what a city or country will be like, and then I find I am very wrong.

    Bangkok is odd. They have an intricate mass transport system, but then a whole large area is just blacked out. Nothing but buses which aren’t as nice to get around on as metros. Of course our hotel is right in the middle of that blacked out area. So we spent some time just seeing how to get around and we’re pleasantly surprised. Bangkok has a great water taxi system, that mainly the locals use to get around in this area. So we jumped on and did our best to negotiate it. English is not spoken near as well here so we’re back to miming or using a lot of google translate to try to communicate. The people are very helpful tho.

    So while we were figuring out the boat/SkyTrain system we found ourselves in a modern section of the city so ran with it. Went into the malls and found they’re just as amazing as Singapore’s. They have a full aquarium in their mall! And so many stores from the USA that surprised me to see. A Sizzler?? Crazy. We had a late lunch at a hotpot place - fun to finally try it. And then we headed to the skywalk. A 77 story tower with a glass roof! Really scary to walk out on. Beautiful sunset again, and then a wonderful ride back to the hotel on the water taxi at night.

    It was a great day of just figuring out how the city works and playing it by ear.
    Read more