Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 32

    Travel day

    October 7, 2023 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 82 °F

    Today was a travel day - we got up at the break of dawn and caught a plane for Cairns (pronounced Cans). Cairns is in the North East coast of Australia and is considered the gateway to the Great Barrier Reef!!!!

    When we arrived we noticed drastic changes. Huge temperature difference and amazingly humid up North. It fees completely different than the other cities we’ve experienced so far. Cairns is a small little quaint town - I expected it to be bigger considering it handles most of the traffic out to the reef.

    We went to the downtown portion of the city and to our surprise they had a huge man made “lagoon”. It was a HUGE seaside pool that varied from 2 to 5 feet deep right in the middle of town - completely free to the public. It exists because there’s NO swimming at the beach, which is right there - sharks are a big issue, apparently, and NO ONE is allowed to swim at the beach. So we swam for a bit in the lagoon, explored the waterfront and had a great first evening. Kind of forgot to take pics as we walked - so not much to show. Will get more in the next few days.

    5.89 miles
    Read more