Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 36

    Port Douglas

    October 11, 2023 in Australia ⋅ 🌬 77 °F

    We rented a car today and headed north. We first stopped at Barron Falls and took a walk on an elevated walkway thru the rainforest to an overlook. Unfortunately, since there hasn’t been much rain, the falls weren’t flowing very strong. The gorge was still really pretty tho, and it was easy to imagine what it would look like during the wet season. (Plus seeing pics online).

    After the falls we headed up the coast an hour or so to Port Douglas. It was a BEAUTIFUL drive right along the ocean - one of my favorite things. We stopped at numerous beaches and viewpoints.

    It’s kind of sad here in that they have all these wonderful beaches and they can’t swim at any of them for fear of either salt water crocodiles, bull sharks and/or the deadly box jelly fish. But … they can enjoy the beauty of them.

    Once we made it to Port Douglas we checked into our hotel we spent a couple hours in our pool relaxing. The weather has gotten much warmer now that we’re at the far north of Australia.

    The big surprise while eating dinner (outside) was seeing all the birds (mostly lorikeets) flocking by the hundreds. So pretty. Then we saw the BIGGEST bats we’d ever seen ! can’t express how big these were - they were bigger than seagulls. They say their wingspan is around 3.5 feet. There was a big colony of them - maybe a hundred hanging around in the trees taking off every so often. It was quite the sight.

    3.75 miles
    Read more