Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 37

    Mossman Gorge

    October 12, 2023 in Australia ⋅ ☁️ 81 °F

    Port Douglas is a coastal city right at the foothills of the Daintree Rainforest. It’s a beautiful area. Today we took a drive out to Mossman Gorge - only 25 min or so from Port Douglas.

    You drive to the Mossman cultural center and then board shuttle buses that take you into the national park. It minimizes the traffic, which is nice. Once there, they have boardwalks and trails all through the gorge. We ended up doing a 2.5km loop trail through the rainforest along the river. It was really peaceful and beautiful.

    Once we got back to the end of the loop there was a swimming hole - it’s too cold in this river for crocodiles, sharks or jellyfish - so we were completely safe to swim. We did have to watch for flash floods but that was about the only risk. It was a beautiful crisp clear river and we really enjoyed cooling off.

    Then we headed back to town and did a second hike - the Flagstaff hill track. It was a nice path that ran along a cliff side overlooking the ocean. Lots of ups and downs and stairs, but the view and gorgeous ocean breeze made it worth it! Overall a beautiful day. I think Port Douglas may be one of my favorite areas in Australia.

    6.0 miles
    Read more