Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 2

    Madame Tussauds

    April 23, 2018 in England ⋅ ⛅ 12 °C

    So much cool stuff. Hard to choose only 6 photos! I'll do a few more in a separate footprint.

    I learned some interesting history about Madame Tussauds and the lady behind it all. I had no idea how long this place has been around for.
    Marie Tussaud's mother was the housekeeper of a wax modeller. This man took Marie under his wing and taught her his art. Her first sculpture was of Voltaire, made in the year 1777. In 1794, her mentor passed away and she inherited his collection. She spent the next 33 years touring Europe showing the artwork. In 1835 she settled down and gave the collection a permanent home in London on Baker street.
    Since then Marie has of course passed away and the company has changed hands a few times. New locations have been opened around the world. Much of her actual artwork was sadly lost due to German bombings during the war but there are still a few very old models created by her or her mentor on display... which is cool.
    In 1883 her grandson moved the collection to a new building where it remains to this day.
    Here are a few images from our visit.
    Read more