Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 61

    Chi Phat

    November 22, 2014 in Cambodia ⋅ ☀️ 16 °C

    Although we found no one to team up for an overnight jungle trek we still went for it. We started 7.30 in the morning and walked all day to a nice waterfall for a very deserved and cooling bath. To get there we walked through changing landscapes which was very nice. Grasslands with high or lower grass, dense forest, artificial forest, banana plantations, some Savannah-ish landscape, crossing some rivers etc. The only wildlife we saw this time were giant worms, lizards, spiders, leeches, and tons of insects like cikades, flies and of course mosquitoes. There was a 2 minute window where we didn't wear long sleeved clothing and they were already feasting. We also heard some Gibbons and saw traces of an elephant and wild dogs - dog poo that is.

    We then slept in hammocks with mosquito nets in a small campsite. Absolutely great experience. We had a guide and a cook with us who didn't really speak English which was a bit of a disappointment but provided us with good food and save passage through the jungle.

    The way back was a bit tough. Not because we had small paths to walk on but an open road in the glaring sun for half a day - did we mention that it is really hot here? We were rewarded with lunch and a swim at a waterfall near Chi Phat.

    The last night we treated ourselves to a night in a very nice bungalow - 10 USD. A fortune!

    To get back we took a motorcycle. Yes this really happened. It was OK, since it was on a mostly empty countryside road but not an experience we have to repeat too soon (at least not in a city).

    Now we are in Krong Koh Kong close to the Thai border and will have dinner at - this message is especially for Vi and Michael - Cafe Laurent.
    Read more