Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 75

    Kratie

    December 6, 2014 in Cambodia ⋅ ⛅ 18 °C

    Yesterday and today we basically spent on bikes. Yes bikes again! I'm telling you, Claire will be a Villo regular when we're back in Brussels!

    Yesterday we took the local ferry for 25 cents to cross the Mekong to the island of Koh Trong. Upon arrival we rented 2 bikes which were barely able to hold up on our trip all around the island. The trip is only 9 km but the bikes, the road and the cows standing on the latter turned it into somewhat of a challenge. The cows here were well fed, in comparison for example to those in Chi Phat. That is what the Mekong does, we guess. Cycling through the island village was nice and from one spot we could see a floating village on the Mekong.

    Today we rented better bikes as we had a trip of roughly 30 km ahead of us. We went up the river to a pool in the Mekong where about 40 Irrawadi dolphins are still living. This highly endangered species can only be found in certain spots in Cambodia and Lao. We rented a small boat and spent an hour watching a group of 3-6 dolphins play in the river. You might wanna do a Google image search on those as they look very peculiar. On the way back we treated ourselves to a coke and some sticky rice and spent the rest of the day planning our trip ahead and napping.

    We're now heading out to our last Cambodian sunset over the Mekong with a couple of Angkor beers. They are really worth it...the sunsets we mean of course.

    After that we'll go to sleep for a last time in Cambodia for as long as the roosters next door let us. They clearly have no clue whatsoever when sunrise is.
    Read more