Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 137

    Apollo Bay

    February 6, 2015 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 22 °C

    With Australia being unjustly treated as a mere stopover on the way to New Zealand we had no real plan what to do in the time between Sydney and Melbourne at first. But luckily our friend Sam, a Canadian guy who we met in Melaka, Malaysia, set up camp for a while in Apollo Bay. A small town about 3-4 hours south of Melbourne.

    So, we got there on Thursday, enjoyed the nice weather on the beach with a pizza, made dinner for ourselves for the first time in a while, went to one of the local pubs and were later invited to a movie night with movies Mr Born would approve of: Jennifer's Body, 7500, and the contemporary classic Teeth. Hilarious!

    On Friday we hitchhiked for the first time in trying to get to the 12 apostles, a highlight on the Great Ocean Road on which to drive is a highlight in itself. These are rock formations out of lime- and sandstone just in front of the cliffs that form the coast there. Absolutely spectacular! The hitchhiking itself worked quite well. To get there we got halfway with an Australian who was very hard to understand and a Chinese couple. On the way back we had to hold out our thumbs for about an hour until a mobile home car filled with 2 Chinese women who hardly spoke any English and 2 kids whose English was significantly better picked us up for the 80 km ride.
    Read more