Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 176

    Milford Sound

    March 17, 2015 in New Zealand ⋅ ☀️ 21 °C

    I think we might have mentioned it before, but just in case: BOY this is beautiful.

    We got on a bus this morning to drive from Queenstown to the Milford Sound. A fjord, carved out by glaciers. The way to get there drawn on a map resembles a large and very wide U with starting and end point pretty close to each other but some steep mountains in the way that make a direct route impossible. This, however, meant that we would reach the southernmost point of our journey which was below the 45th parallel, the halfway point between equator and the pole.

    The road to get there is one reason to make the trip. Absolutely stunning, it might very well have been the most beautiful route we have ever been on. To enhance the experience, we even got a bus with a glass roof. And while we started out in grey and cold weather, we even got lucky, as it was a beautiful day for the most part. We got to stop at a little creek from which you could drink (pic no 1) and a pie store in Te Anau from which you could buy the best pies.

    Once in Milford, you embark on a very nice cruise on the sound before making the 4-5 hour drive back to Queenstown from where we carry on tomorrow, heading North.
    Read more