Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 7

    Farewell Argentina we loved you

    April 19, 2016 in Brazil ⋅ ☀️ 30 °C

    We both felt sad that today we left Argentina and we are moving on to the last stage of the trip - Brazil.

    After breakfast we had the joy of driving back up the track and finding our mechanic Hector in El Sorbebio. He did not know we were coming as the lodge had not managed to speak to him (there is very rarely a phone signal here). I was dreading it but actually he was lovely and stopped working on all his other cars to help two strangers. We did a test drive then he put the car in the workshop and went under it. He started banging with a wrench I think, a lot.

    He solved it too. Seems the Iberá mud had set like concrete on the wheels and the car wash had been a superficial one. He reckoned that water might not have worked anyway. One hour later we were on our way - at 110 kph - to Iguazú.

    As we drove through the national park a toucan flew right in front of us. Very exciting!

    After some last minute shopping to use up our pesos we felt the relief of giving the car back and got in the taxi transfer to the Brazil side. Crossing this border was so much easier and faster than any other this trip. Next challenge was to take Brazilian Reais out of a cash machine - Clare passed with flying colours. Then we arrived at our huge and quite fancy hotel with a huge pool, swim up bar and a gym. They also gave us a free upgrade so we already loved the place.

    We enjoyed stable wifi, air conditioning, the gym, pool, swim up bar in that order. I (Lisa) was very pleased to be able to run 5k without stopping or dying because I hadn't been able to run since Mendoza.

    Tomorrow we are off to the Brazilian side of the falls.
    Read more