Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    Island life

    April 23, 2016 in Brazil ⋅ ☀️ 33 °C

    Now we are off for our mini-break to Ilha Grande - a tropical island 2.5 hours drive and a 20 min boat from downtown Rio. But first a morning run (for Lisa) on Copacabana beach followed by a lovely breakfast including coconut water still in the coconut! Perfect rehydration.

    The drive to the port was a bit hairy because A) the roads are still being dug up for the Olympics, B) it's a holiday weekend in Brazil and C) Rio drivers are crazy. We arrived in tact and were pointed to a boat. After being able to do fine in Spanish we are really struggling with Portuguese, leading to some hilarious sign language, 'Spanguluese' attempts to communicate.

    We dragged our bags along the beach and up a cobbled hill to Aratinga Inn, our home for four nights. Room is lovely, has AC and a fan - it's still boiling hot. Went for lunch on the beach. Our chairs, tables and feet were in the water each time a wave came in. Fresh seafood at last so Clare v happy.

    Think we may be about to restore any weight we may have lost. They do afternoon tea here (lovely Aussie woman owner who is friends with our Rio boys) with many types of cake and dessert. Very yum.

    Went out for dinner and strolled around while fireworks went off from the pier. We could see the fireworks and a bright moon at the same time which was cool. It's very busy here but many will leave tomorrow as it's Sunday.
    Read more