Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 3

    Singing for our supper

    January 9, 2023 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 24 °C

    Fun time is off the menu, and it was down to business today. We savoured the last few minutes of freedom by looking at the view out the window, trying to spot that alligator - no luck - and instead seeing a beautiful white egret.

    Gordon announced his theme at the first session, and we picked up our beautiful themed tie and scarf, ready for a photo op and special Presidential lunch tomorrow. Then we were split up to go through our respective workbooks at opposite ends of the complex.

    The work was interesting, but the part I enjoyed most was meeting new people. Like Marie Angela from Brasil practising her very good English, the ex-marine Bill from Virginia who loves the Lord of the Rings and wants to visit the film sites in NZ, the recently retired DEA agent Victor from Miami who spent 14 years in the Airforce deployed around the world, the food importer from Nazareth whose husband is responsible for all the Rotary clubs in Israel. I could go on and on, but you get the picture.

    We all - Australians, Kiwis & Pacific Islanders - had an informal dinner together tonight, which was very relaxed and low-key. But it was soon obvious that people were ready to "talk to the pillow" as Geoff put it when we said goodnight at the ridiculous time of 7pm.
    Read more