Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 85

    Casa di Giulietta, Verona

    June 28, 2023 in Italy ⋅ ⛅ 26 °C

    Of prehistoric origin , the town was re-founded by the Romans inside the bend of the river around the middle of the 1st century BC, remaining under the government of the Empire until the 5th century, when it was occupied by the Germanic king Theodoric the Great . It first became part of the dominion of the Lombards and then of the Franks , remaining faithful in the following centuries to the emperors of the Holy Roman Empire . It became a free commune at the beginning of the 12th century and then prospered under the Signoria of the Scaligeri . He dedicated himself to the Serenissima in 1405, passing under the government of the Republic of Venice. Militarily occupied by Napoleon in 1797, in 1815 it became part of the Austrian Empire which transformed it into its major military stronghold in Italian territory, to be annexed to the Kingdom of Italy in 1866.

    Verona has been declared a World Heritage Site by UNESCO for its urban peculiarities and for its artistic and cultural heritage. Its symbol is the Arena and it is known worldwide for William Shakespeare 's Romeo and Juliet . If you are visiting Verona, a must-see attraction is definitely Juliet’s House, where lovers from all over the world leave love messages or writings with their beloved’s name. After entering in to the courtyard of the house you will find yourself in front of a bronze statue representing Shakespeare’s heroine ... It is believed that touching her breast brings good luck!
    Read more