Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5 - Cayton Bay and Filey

    September 14, 2023 in England ⋅ ☁️ 66 °F

    We continue to embark on day trips from our base in Pickering. Exploring Jim's ancestral roots, we decided to visit Eastfield, his ancestors' hometown, and a nearby cemetery in Cayton. Although both locations didn't meet our expectations entirely, they were still worth the visit.

    Our next destination was Cayton Bay beach, a stunning and secluded spot surrounded by cliffs. Interestingly, we encountered just as many joyful dogs frolicking as there were people enjoying the beach. It's clear that the English adore their dogs. To reach the beach, we navigated our first English footpath and practiced crossing fences using stiles.

    Afterward, we ventured to the charming town of Filey, another picturesque beachside community with beautiful gardens, an English-style boardwalk, and wonderful views from the cliffs overlooking the beach. We continue to have delightful conversations with retired English couples, which adds to our experience.

    Lastly, we explored a small nature preserve boasting lush woods and exceptional birdwatching opportunities from well-placed bird blinds.
    Read more