Satellit
Visa på kartan
  • 2 - Foreign Short Films

    29 september 2023, Förenta staterna ⋅ ☁️ 61 °F

    This session highlights foreign short films. Of course, I always like to add variety. Scroll down to read info on all the films for the session and click on the link to view. Some notes are after the link and are best read after viewing that short film.

    Safer in Groups - Belgium - 2 Minutes
    Public service announcements are another genre of short films. Here are a couple of outstanding PSAs.  Our first PSA is from Belgium and this video tries to get their message across through cuteness and appealing to our sense of community.

    https://youtu.be/VHGxgfHNjwA?si=Z4bntWypmkTTfJCU

    A Man and His Dog - Argentina - 2 minutes  
    Here we have a remarkable film selection—an award-winning public service announcement from Argentina, of all places. When crafting a public service announcement, the goal is to ensure the message stays etched in the viewer's memory. I first watched this video about a year ago, and I must admit, it has crossed my mind at least a hundred times since then. Each viewing leaves me with a resounding "WOW" by the end. This one's dedicated to all the animal enthusiasts out there.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlFiMoCbVMQ

    The Paperboy -  India - 13 minutes long
    This 2016 film has garnered numerous accolades at Indian Film Festivals and is a captivating piece of cinema on various fronts. It narrates the story of a young orphaned paperboy eking out a living in a bustling Indian city while being homeless. His survival hinges on his paperboy job, but he's also passionate about drawing, using available stones to etch his art onto walls. The boy's striking innocence and his remarkably natural acting shine throughout the film.In black and white and devoid of dialogue, this movie stands as a visual masterpiece. The cinematography exhibits an artistic and exquisite touch. The camerawork frequently employs a narrow depth of field, accentuating the focal point while gently blurring the background images. It's a film that invites multiple viewings, encouraging viewers to contemplate its deeper meaning. The vibrant shoes introduced into the boy's otherwise drab life symbolize color and joy, embodying a universal tale of hope cherished by every child. Additionally, this film underscores the profound impact that small acts of kindness can have on someone's life.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neWPK3fRg5c

     Five Minute University - "Italian" - 5 Minutes
    In the early 1980s, there was a comedian who frequently graced the stage of Saturday Night Live, where he consistently portrayed the character of an Italian Catholic Priest named Father Guido Sarducci. Some of you might have fond memories of him, hence the use of quotes around "Italian."Beyond his SNL appearances, he was an active participant in the stand-up comedy circuit. What set him apart was his style; he wasn't your typical one-liner comedian. Instead, he crafted routines that spanned 4 to 5 minutes, offering insightful observations about our world. Some of these routines were nothing short of brilliant, showcasing his exceptional writing skills. Today, I'd like to share one of his routines from the early 1980s, entitled "The Five Minute University." Regrettably, the video quality may not be as pristine as we'd prefer, but I believe you'll still find it enjoyable.

    https://youtu.be/c00GPvns31U?si=r8y3IbiKjodvZrvb

    The Secret to Living Longer - Canada - 12 minutes
    I genuinely aim to incorporate something educational into our discussion. There is an abundance of short film documentaries available for exploration, but my primary objective is to acquaint you with a series of videos that are truly exceptional. You may or may not be acquainted with Ted Talks, which are brief lectures captured in front of live audiences. Ted Talks were initiated in 1990 with the motto "Ideas Worth Spreading," and their videos are readily accessible to the public. These "Ideas Worth Spreading" offer valuable insights into our world, often delving into the realms of science, technology, and culture, presenting findings from research and enlightening perspectives. The speakers are allotted a maximum of 18 minutes to present their ideas in the most innovative and captivating ways possible. Given that we primarily have a senior audience, this video will be highly relevant. I'd like to share a segment of a TED talk delivered by a Canadian researcher who dedicated years to the study of centenarians, individuals who have lived beyond the age of 100, in an effort to uncover the secrets behind their remarkable longevity.

    https://www.ted.com/talks/susan_pinker_the_secr…

    Mr. Happy, Johnny Barnes - Bermuda – 11 minutes long  
    Hailing from Bermuda, this 2011 film introduces us to Johnny Barnes, a remarkable individual who truly stands out. At times in our lives, we encounter individuals whose inherent kindness seems to reach a saintly level. These exceptional people leave an indelible mark on us, and Johnny Barnes is unquestionably one of them.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_EX5NzqNXc

    Move - Australia - 1 Minute
    There is an international film festival of one minute shorts films. Included below are two award winning one minute short films. This creative one minute film makes great use of photography.

    https://youtu.be/Qz7yyfet7jQ?si=RoptCEQ_COWaKsO7

    The Bomb Shelter – France - 1 Minute
    Even within the confines of a one-minute duration, some short films manage to weave in a compelling plot. This French film, complete with subtitles, emerged victorious in the one-minute film category in 2017. It narrates the story of a survivalist who constructs a bomb shelter, leaving his family questioning his sanity. However, their skepticism takes a turn when the need for the shelter becomes evident.

    https://youtu.be/6dxSsZ_Perw?si=oqQ-9AJga7Y9aKJZ
    Läs mer