Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 56

    Day 56 - Interlaken to Zurich

    August 11, 2023 in Switzerland ⋅ ☀️ 27 °C

    We could have easily stayed another day at Interlaken, we both enjoyed the hotel accommodation and the vibe of Interlaken. From my last trip to Interlaken, I remembered a twisty section of the road that took my fancy. The twists, turns, and tunnels that made up this section of the road made it look like a pretzel on the navigation system. We found the pretzel road just outside of Brienzewiler.

    Rob wanted to go through the Gotthard Tunnel and to do that, we needed to cross over the Grimsel Pass to get to Airolo at the southern end of the tunnel. So, we were backtracking on the roads we drove last Monday. If we were going to drive over Grimsel Pass, I suggested we also drive over the Furka Pass to Realp. Of course, once we got to Realp, we had to turn back and drive over the Furka Pass to continue our journey to Zurich.

    To get to Airolo, we drove over the Nufenen Pass, the highest paved mountain pass in Switzerland. Along the way, we met many cows with bells grazing alongside the road. We could hear the ring of bells throughout the valley. When we reached the southern end of the Gotthard Tunnel, it was closed. Our only option was to drive over the Gotthard Pass, which we went over last Sunday. We were happy to drive another pass, so we weren't complaining. However, we weren't done with mountain passes just yet. On our way to Zurich, we took a detour over the Klausen Pass. This pass is known for its narrow roads, but no less spectacular than the other mountain passes we drove today.

    Given the beautiful sunny weather and magnificent mountain pass roads, today's drive eclipsed last Monday and has now become the best day for driving on tour.
    Read more