Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 27

    Flat Tire & Vermillion Falls, CO

    July 28, 2021 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 86 °F

    We left Irish Canyon and got about 2 miles down the road and a tire blew. We didn't have a spare and after calling Doug found a replacement back in Rock Springs. When he went to take off the old, the inner lug nuts were a different size. A county guy came and helped us get the tire off but it was too late to go that day. Trish was sick so Josh had left Sarah and Cecil with us and took the rest of his crew to Craig, CO.

    Since we were stuck for the night we loaded up and went the 1/4 mile down the road to go cool off in Vermillion Falls. Just as we got there it started raining. After playing for awhile most everyone was ready to go. Q: What happens to clay dirt when it gets wet? A: We found out! We were a muddy mess when we finally got to the top of the hill where we were parked! After getting cleaned up we ate supper, watched movies, and worked on a puzzle.

    Doug and Dad left at 5:30am to go get the tires. After getting back and getting the tires changed out, we tried to pull the slide in, no juice. It took Doug awhile but he figured out the ground wire had come loose. We FINALLY got going down the road and then the motor vapor locked (never heard of it before it happened to us). We would go a couple of miles then the mh would shut down. We would sit for 5-10 minutes then it would start again, we did that over and over again and limped into Rifle, CO. After we got gas and took the insulation off the motor, we were fine.

    Needless to say, a 9 hr trip turned into a 54 hr trip. Not what we planned, but not all bad and the kids did have fun and memories were made.
    Read more