Satellite
Show on map
  • First Week in Christchurch

    November 12, 2017 in New Zealand ⋅ ☁️ 13 °C

    We have been living in Christchurch for just over a week and it has been a busy few days. We had been staying in an Airbnb flat while we searched for a place to call home. After what felt like a hundred viewings and a million miles walking around the city between them we have finally moved in today. Our new place is a ground floor flat in a large house which has been split into four flats with a shared garden. We have met two of the other three couples - one set also British.
    On one of the first days we found a meetup group hosting a BBQ which we went to. It was an interesting experience. We were the youngest ones there by far but everyone was really friendly, asking about where we had come from and why. A few of the others had emigrated from the UK, with one couple only arriving a few weeks earlier.
    We finished our first weekend at the New Brighton Firework Display to the theme of Star Wars to celebrate bonfire night, The fireworks were spectacular bar the commentary from a group of local teens behind us. The bus back to the city was a trip to try to forget.
    We are now feeling a little more settled in our new city, but it is still feeling a little (lot) surreal.
    Read more