Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 11

    Uluru - Ayers Rock

    October 5, 2022 in Australia ⋅ 🌙 26 °C

    After a 7-hr trip from Coober Pedy via an overnight stop at Ghan, where I saw a wild camel. Aslan and I arrived at Uluru.

    The resort and campground for some reason are still called Ayers Rock. Uluru is a beautiful post card spot. But it's hot. Sun is blaring down, around 34 degrees. The aircon we purchased is saving us now. Too hot to enjoy the scenery properly. We took the obligatory photos which look great and headed out for lunch to avoid the heat at the Ayers Rock Resort. We were supposed to stay here two days but with the heat there is no point hanging around.

    Tomorrow, we head up to Alice Springs where we will stay for 2 days. We have decided it's too hot to enjoy the rest of the trip heading north, so we have made the decision to head south to Port Augusta and then across the Nullarbor to Western Australia instead, going via Esperance and the Margaret River. Will we miss out on Katherine, Darwin, Broome, yes, but with 3 weeks of this heat before we head south again, it's not the right time of year for this. We will tackle the North in June/July another year instead.
    Read more