Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 23

    Carrión de los Condes

    September 27, 2022 in Spain ⋅ ⛅ 66 °F

    Day 2 on the Meseta and we clearly have moved into the mental stage of the Camino. Our walk was sprinkled with an odd silence. This section of Spain is so quiet. The roads have few cars or trucks and the village streets are empty most of the time. It has a peace to it that we just don’t get at home. When you see something going on it stands out, like the lady placing shoes out to air on a second floor window sill. No other sounds or activity for blocks, just an older Spanish lady going about her day.

    At one point we where walking along a road into a town and I said to Peg, “do you hear that?” there was no sounds other than a bird in the distance whose sound was amplified by the lack of noise. The peace and silence gives you time to clear your mind and think. The Meseta will last about a week so we have a lot of thinking time ahead of us. 😳

    On the health side of things, Peg looks to be on the mend. Today ended up at about 13 miles across the plains with a lovely walk along a tree shaded canal. The walking is mostly flat and easy going at this stage.

    Tomorrow will take us about 17 miles with a stay in a group albergue at the end of the day. While Peg has been feeling bad, we have been staying in private rooms in hostels or hotels. But it’s time to stop being spoiled with nice sheets and quiet rooms. Back to the serenade of two dozen people snoring the night away.
    Wish us luck with that!

    Buen Camino.
    Read more