Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 26

    Reliegos

    September 30, 2022 in Spain ⋅ ⛅ 63 °F

    I guess a good night's sleep without the cacophony of a room of snoring maestros is a good thing because today was a great walk. It ended up just shy of 13 miles along a quiet country road. The path was tree lined with a tree planted every 10 feet on the edge of the path for all 13 miles. The longest row of trees I have ever seen.

    The weather has been cool in the mornings; 36-40 degrees most days. That makes us walk at a pretty good clip when we start off. Today we averaged 3.2 miles an hour and got to our albergue plenty early. It is run by a brother and sister and is maybe the nicest we have stayed in. They are super friendly and focused on you enjoying your stay. When they purchased it, each room slept 12. They decided fewer was better and changed the 4 rooms to sleep just 2 each. Our room is large with 2 balconies and a table and chairs with a great view of all the pilgrims going by.

    The people you meet on the Camino is one of it’s greatest gifts. Today we played leap frog with Ju from Arizona, had a great talk with Steve from Texas who just retired as an ER doctor, met Mechail, a nice young lady from Louisiana and reconnected with Emily who we had not seen since Logroño. Having a common experience seems to open people up to conversations quickly and making new friends is easy.

    Tomorrow we head into León for two nights. We are excited to see one of Spain’s great cities and we hope to check up with other pilgrims we haven’t seen for a few days.

    Buen Camino
    Read more