Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 36

    Triacastela

    October 10, 2022 in Spain ⋅ ☁️ 64 °F

    Today started off like most days with a predawn wake-up trying to be really quiet while getting our stuff together in a dark room of eight sleeping people, using a red headlight to pack. And then out the door which locks behind you. There was only one small difference today, it was raining outside the locking door so no turning back once the door shut behind us.

    Walking in the rain, in the dark, by headlight is a different experience. You have a bit of tunnel vision with your rain hood drawn tight, and the light dancing off the rain. We had about an hour until we could see color in the sky and a very steep, slick climb to make. At the top of the hill a bar was open serving up great coffee and a fire burning in the fireplace. It was busy with pilgrims looking to warm up and dry out. While we joined the crowd, the sky brightened and the rain lighten up and we spent the next few hours walking through another Hallmark card wonderland. After our big climb yesterday, most of today was downhill and an easy stroll with beauty everywhere. I thought yesterday was amazing but today topped it!

    We also saw more locals today. In the Meseta region you would walk through a village and not see a single person. Since being in Galicia we are seeing more people and much more activity. In one village, we had an older lady brave the rain to share pancakes, that she sprinkled with sugar, with pilgrims as they walked past her house. It was a very touching moment and just made the day more special.

    About 4 kilometers from the village we are staying in, we stopped for lentil soup and coffee and waited for a downpour of rain to past. We played a few hands of cards and then made a push to the end with more mind blowing scenery. Tomorrow we are off to Sarria and will be getting close to the last 100 kilometers of our walk into Santiago.

    6 days left of walking this Camino….
    Read more